Center for Study of Chronic Metabolic Disease (CSCMD) seeks an integration of diverse experimental data through the use of bioinformatics, computational biology and modeling. One of the Center's primary goals is to develop a set of user-friendly bioinformatic tools and comprehensive databases capturing clinical, as well as experimental data. An intention for this set of the tools is to assist in a search for novel biomarkers and in designing targeted drugs with potential efficacy
to treat human chronic diseases.
CSCMD is a model of collaborative efforts that can bridge the excellence in clinical care and research available at the Center for Liver Diseases of Inova Fairfax Hospital with the excellence in basic/genomic research available at George Mason University. This Center can serve as a model of productive collaboration between these two institutions in Northern Virginia.
In addition to Inova Fairfax Hospital, CSCMD had established both local and global networks of collaboration that include
but are not limited to:
- Pigment Cell Biology Section, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD (Dr. Vincent Hearing.
- Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA (Key collaborator:
Dr. Young Hwa Ju)
- University of Arkansas Medical Center, Little Rock, AR (Key collaborator: Dr. Galina Glazko)
- Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, The University of
Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX (Key collaborator: Dr. Ganiraju Manyam)
- Functional Food Center, Texas Woman's University, TX (Key collaborator: Dr. Danik Martyrosyan)
- BUC, University Of Modern Sciences, Dubai (Key collaborator: Dr. Mohammed Jarrar)
- "Istituto Superiore Sanita" - Rome, Italy (Key collaborator: Dr. Alessandro Giuliani)
- Research Centre for Medical Genetics, Moscow, Russia (Key collaborator: Dr. Mikhail Skoblov)
- Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine, SB RAS, Novosibirsk, Russia
(Key collaborator: Dr. Pavel Laktionov)
- Transplantation Department, St.Peterburg State Medical University named after I.P.Pavlov and
Organ Procurement Center, St.Peterburg State Research Institute for Emergency named after
I.I.Janelidze, Russia (Key collaborator: Dr. Pavel Laktionov)
- Vavilov Institute of General Genetics, Moscow, Russia (Key collaborator: Dr. Sergey Bruskin)
Additionally, CSCMD collaborates with many departments within GMU, namely, Machine Learning and Inference Laboratory, CHHS, (Dr. Wojtusiak), Department of Mathematics, COS (Dr. Emelianenko), Center for Metabolomics, SSB (Dr. Gillevet), Center for Applied Proteomics and Molecular Medicine, SSB (Dr. Petricoin), Department of Applied Information Technology at Volgenau School of Engineering (Dr. Rytikova), Center for Study of Chronic Illness and Disability, CHHS (Dr. Gerber) and others.